Every Day Should Be Global Beer Responsible Day
Monday, October 2nd, 2017
What is Global Beer Responsible Day?
Global Be(er) Responsible Day (GBRD) is a global initiative created and supported by the beer industry; This year we officially celebrated GBRD on 15 September. GBRD helps us raise awareness about the importance of making smart drinking choices to influence social norms and reduce the harmful use of alcohol.
The day, was themed “Drink Smart Today, Celebrate Tomorrow”, and its focus was on bringing awareness to issues of harmful drinking and promoting smart drinking within the business, amongst the company’s partners and its consumers.
Drinking smart isn’t about refraining from alcohol, it’s about knowing when you should or shouldn’t drink and knowing when you’ve had enough. Smart Drinking is about making every experience with beer an enjoyable one led by Smart Drinking choices. These include drinking a glass of water in between beers, opting for a non-alcoholic drink when you’ve had enough and not drinking if you’re under the age of 18.
By doing this you’ll be able to ensure a safer, happier tomorrow.
SAB has implemented several initiatives in partnership with private and public-sector partners, to tackle the problem of harm cause by the misuse of alcohol. These initiatives are embedded within the organisation’s Better World sustainable development strategy under the Healthier World pillar with the aspiration of a healthier world where every experience with beer is a positive one.
These initiatives form part of the organisation’s Global Smart Drinking Goals which encapsulate its efforts to make a deeper investment in programmes that measurably shift social norms and behaviours toward smart drinking.
The initiatives include:
- SAB’s 18+ Be the Mentor campaign, which is a call to action for adults to become role models in the fight against underage drinking;
- The SAB Smart Drinking Squad work to educate, enable and empower licensed tavern owners, their patrons and local communities to use alcohol responsibly;
- Future Leaders, a local reality television programme which follows the lives of five teenagers tackling issues of alcohol abuse and other social ills;
- Almost R40-million to be invested in tavern upgrades in the Western Cape, KwaZulu-Natal and Egoli to enhance tavern safety and pedestrian road safety initiatives in three provinces.
- SAB’s Smart Trader Programme educates retailers on key principles of smart trading to ensure compliance. Some of these principles include not serving alcohol to intoxicated and pregnant customers or to anyone underage.
- Global City Pilot project in Johannesburg City which will deliver a toolkit of programmes to combat drink driving, underage drinking, binge drinking as well as driving literacy around alcohol health;
- SAB will help empower consumers to make smart drinking choices by ensuring they have access to both no and lower-alcohol options and information about the products they are consuming.
It’s time to make a change
We want to make GBRD a lifestyle, by changing the way people think about consuming beer. Help us grow this initiative into something powerful by making Smart Drinking choices of your own, or pledging to ‘Be the Mentor’ and help the youth do the same. You can Celebrate Tomorrow if you Drink Smart Today.
“Each one of us can make a difference. Together we can make a change.”