The SAB Environmental Media Awards and Environmentalist of the Year, now in its 31st year, is calling for entries.
The awards acknowledge and recognise the work of dedicated members of the South African Environmental Media who excel in their reportage of all current environmental matters, across written, photography, video and audio.
A new category, the SAB Environmental Community Award was announced last year during the 30th anniversary of the SAB Environmental Awards to recognise community-based environmental projects. Entries need to highlight the project’s successes, providing examples of best practice in order to be eligible.
“A winning entry would include the quality of the initiative, the number of people reached and/or involved. We are also looking for evidence of changed behaviour, measurable outcomes and addressing issues relating to the specific community affected,” said Zoleka Lisa, SAB VP Corporate Affairs and Sustainability SA. The prize is valued at R15 000.
Entrants may be nominated or self-nominated, in a 500-word motivation. The recipient will be decided on by the SAB Environmental Media Judging Panel.
A special award, the Nick Steele Memorial Award for Environmentalist of the Year, is also presented to the individual who the judges believe has made an extraordinary effort to look after the local environment.
SAB has committed to several sustainability goals to be achieved by 2025 in the areas of Water Stewardship, Smart Agriculture, Climate Action, Circular Packaging and Entrepreneurship.
One of these initiatives includes adopting a holistic approach to water stewardship, as part of a broader community reliant on the same water resources. “We believe it is common sense to seek a world that is cleaner and more environmentally friendly to create an atmosphere and economy that are conducive to doing business,” said Zoleka Lisa, VP Corporate Affairs and Sustainability SA, SAB. “We are striving for a better world, and are proud to recognise others who are doing the same.”
The categories for the SAB Environmental Media and Environmentalism Awards 2019 are as follows:
- Written Media Award (Print and Online)
- Photography Award (Print and Online)
- Video Media Award (Television and Online)
- Audio Media Award (Radio and Online)
- The Macqubu Ntombela and Ian Player Cub Awards for environmental journalists with less than two years' experience in the Industry (Print, Photography, Video and Audio Media categories)
- Nick Steele Memorial Award for the Environmentalist of the Year.
All category winners will receive a cash prize of R15,000. The four winners of the Macqubu Ntombela and Ian Player Cub Awards will receive R7,000 prize money. The Nick Steele Memorial Award winner will receive R15,000.
Media Entry requirements and details
Entrants for the SAB Environmental Media Awards and Environmentalist of the Year must submit via the online portal.
- Entries close on Friday, 13 September at 17h00.
- Entrants are to submit work published between 01 September 2018 and 31 August 2019.
- For information and submissions, go to www.sabenviromedia.co.za.
- Entrants need to register to either enter the SAB Environmental Media Awards or nominate someone for the SAB Environmentalist of the Year and the SAB Environmental Community Award 2019.
Winners will be announced at the awards ceremony on Tuesday, 29 October 2019.