Sweet and Sticky Pulled Pork made with Carling Black Label
Black Label makes a perfect pairing partner to Sweet and Sticky Pulled Pork. Try this easy recipe at home and taste for yourself how they complement each other!
Black Label’s flavour profile perfectly complements the sweetness of the onions, apples and sticky barbeque sauce and the sweet juiciness of the pork itself. The beer is full bodied with a spicy hoppiness complemented by lightly kilned malted barley. It has a slightly sweet finishing with a soft bitterness, and a delicate balance of bananas and mangoes in its aroma.
By tasting them together the food changes the characteristics of the beer, lowering the bitterness and bringing out a full bodied and rounded sweetness.
Black Label is a fantastically drinkable beer that goes well with many foods, however this pairing with Sweet and Sticky Pulled Pork must be one of the best!
Beer-cooked Sweet and Sticky Pulled Pork
- 2kg pieces of pork neck
- 30 ml paprika
- 30ml brown sugar
- 30 ml ground cumin
- 10ml salt
- 5ml pepper
- 2 green apples, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 440ml Carling Black Label
- 500 ml bought barbeque sauce
- Mix all the spices together and rub into the pork. Leave for a few hours, or, even better, overnight.
- Place the apples and onions in the base of the slow cooker and then place the pork on top.
- Pour the beer over the meat, making sure it is all covered. Cook for 8 – 10 hours in the slow cooker.
- Remove the meat from the pot and shred it, containing it in an oven proof dish.
- Pour the barbeque sauce over the shredded meat, cover with foil and place in the oven at 180° until it’s heated through.
- Serve on a hot, fresh bread roll with a chilled glass of Carling Black Label.
For more on beer and food pairing check out our other posts with tips, advice and recipes:
- General tips on beer and food pairing
- Flying Fish and fruit loaf
- Hearty Irish Stew and Castle Milk Stout
- Fresh oysters and Castle Milk Stout
Have you tried these pairings, or do you have others that you would recommend? Share your comments below or tweet us at @MyBeerSA.