The SAB youth entrepreneurship development programme, SAB KickStart, has selected its Top 18 National Finalists of 2014, each of whom will receive a business grant of between R100 000 and R200 000; as well as business development support over a 12-month period.
The finalists were selected by an independent panel of adjudicators following an intensive two-week business training course facilitated by the University’s Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS).
SAB KickStart, one of the longest running initiatives of its kind which started in 1995, is focused on developing and supporting sustainable youth-owned businesses, as well as high impact entrepreneurs who are able to make a contribution to South Africa’s job creation needs.
“It is important that big business in South Africa use their resources, experience and knowledge to help small business become sustainable and strong contributors towards the country’s economy. This means investing more than just capital but offering the support and guidance needed to carry these businesses through to success, ” says Boipelo Nkadimeng, SAB acting Head Enterprise Development and Community Partnerships.
A needs analysis conducted on the finalist businesses helps define a growth strategy for each. This strategy in turn informs the seed capital awarded for the benefit of each business, as well as the programme and terms of the entrepreneur’s individualised business mentorship for the remainder of the year.
The final top three winners of the national finals will be awarded additional grant funding for their businesses later this year during Global Entrepreneurship Week. They are selected by an independent panel of judges who take into consideration the overall business performance, business sustainability and its potential, as well as the effective implementation of growth strategies during the SAB KickStart mentorship and business development phase.
The Top 18 SAB KickStart National finalists are:
- Siphamandla Javu - Mzansi Telecoms and Projects (East London, Eastern Cape): Specialists in telecommunications solution in the Eastern Cape
- Sboniso Mtshali – Afronic Data (Durban, KZN): ICT management and networking solutions; IT hardware and software support
- Wanni Toyana - Otjiwarongo Projects (East London, Eastern Cape) : Vegetation management specialising in grass gutting and tree-felling for the public and private industry
- Abram Rankeng – Rainbow Granite and Marble Works Enterprise (Kimberley, Northern Cape): Marble and granite manufacturing situated in Kimberley
- Reamogetswe Tshabalala – Pfuxaka Enzokuhle (Bronkhorstspruit, Gauteng): Design and manufacturing of tombstones and grave markers
- Earl Strauss Muller - NAM Petroleum (Springbok, Northern Cape): Manufacturing of bio-diesel
- Benjamin Mdokwana – Ben Petroleum (Cape Town, Western Cape): Repackaging and distribution of paraffin and petrol
- Chad Petersen – Artisans Research Unit (Cape Town, Western Cape): Manufacturing of bespoke leather goods
- Jeffery Mafalo – Falo’s Wire and Steel (Lebowakgomo, Limpopo): manufactures and distributes wire and steel products
- Lerato Radebe – Imagined Steel & Structural Engineering (Kagiso, Gauteng): Fabrication of products e.g. carports, mobile trailers and gates
- Marcia Mofokeng – Alurcia Aluminium and Glass (Katlehong, Gauteng: Manufacturing of aluminium products
- Tsholofelo Majeng – Maiktronic CC (Kuruman, Northern Cape): Specialists in fabrication of structural metal products
- Leeko Nkala – Chilladiddo (Pty) Ltd (Johannesburg, Gauteng): Production, packaging and distribution of relish in the food and beverage industry
- Scelo Mzimela – Tender Taste Trading (Durban, KZN): Supplier of fast food to students and industry
- Millicent Nyembe – Nyembe Waste Management (Pretoria, Gauteng): Crime scene cleaning and transportation of health-care risk waste
- Mthandeni Ngidi – Hlobane Waste Management Services CC (Durban, KZN): Waste management to reduce landfill waste and disposal costs to clients
- Tshepo Marumule – Tshepo Merafong Trading (Johannesburg, Gauteng): Environment and sustainability solutions specialising in greenhouse gas emission and reporting amongst others
- Simphiwe Mazibuko – Ejimini Fitness Club (Empangeni, KZN): Fitness and wellness centre in KZN
[caption id="attachment_1485" align="aligncenter" width="655"] SAB Kickstart 2014 National Finalists
Standing (from left): Wanni Toyana; Marcia Mofokeng; Tsholofelo Majeng; Jeffery Mafalo; Anda Maqanda (SABKickStarter 2012/2013); Lerato Radebe; Vincent Mapha (SAB Executive Director Corporate Affairs and Transformantion); Abram Rankeng; Boipelo Nkadimeng (SAB acting Head Enterprise Development); Tshepo marumule; Simphiwe Mazibuko; Leeko Nkala; Benjamin Mdokwana; Millicent Nyembe.
Seated (from left): Earl Strauss Muller; Sboniso Mtshali; Scelo Mzimela; Reamogetswe Tshabalala; Chad Petersen
Absent: Siphamandla Javu[/caption]
For further informationContact Azure Janneker – SAB Media and Communications Email: Azure.Janneker@za.sabmiller.com | Cell: 079 505 6966 For the latest SAB KickStart news, follow us on: Twitter: @SAB_KickStart Facebook: www.facebook.com/SAB KickStart